With my last pregnancy – at age 36 – I got Gestational Diabetes. I was super upset and confused. I thought I was a healthy(ish) person. But sometimes our cards delt to us are not what we wanted or expected. If you read my other blog post you know that this led to getting post and prenatal depression. GD is a leading cause of getting this type of depression.
I managed my GD through diet and exercises alone. Here is a very important key to remember. Our bodies are always trying to get back to homeostasis. You have to be patient and help it out. It took a good two weeks of watching my numbers and calculating everything I did to maintain healthy blood sugars. I cried those two weeks. I kept doing what I knew was right (diet wise), but it takes time for your sugars to normalize.
I learned something that helped me in my schooling at ACHS. Im not much of a green thumb, though I love to garden. I had to plant sprouts for a class once. I would normally dump the whole pack of seeds in hoping one or two would grow. But I learned to ‘Trust the Seed’ and plant only a couple. With proper care and water it will grow. So during this trial I keep repeating to myself ‘Trust the Food.’ I had previously watch several videos by Dr. Mcdougall who always promotes eating potatoes and rice. So I did, trusting the food.
What I did to keep my blood sugar down
- Again, be patient and watch your numbers. Check your sugars often to see what your body is reacting too.
- I exercised after each meal. Not hardcore. Just walked outside or on a treadmill. It helps your body burn off the sugars.
- Drank a lot of water after the meal. It helps to dilute all the sugars.
- Took Wheat Grass pills.
- Avoided sugars – even dried fruit. Ate green bananas and limited fruit intake to 1 or 2 servings. Like an apple with peanut butter – make sure to have a protein with your sugar. Look into Trim Healthy Mamas.
- Ate smaller meals and snacks throughout the day.
- Stayed as vegan as I could along with going gluten free. <—– Make sure to eat protein with every meal or snack. (Because of the protein content I was able to eat vital wheat protein – fake meats)
- Read all ingredients!!! Most likely if it’s in a package your shouldn’t eat it. Eat As Grown, meaning cook your own food using actual food like vegetables, rice etc.
- If you eat meat then think about going Paleo during your pregnancy – but pay attention to your body cues.
I actually lost weight during pregnancy when I started doing all these points above! And I was able to have a safe natural home birth!
When you are pregnant your body processes sugars more, so if you get GD you have to really watch your sugar and food intake. Your diet will change just for your pregnancy, but once you have the baby you still need to watch your sugars! If you are breast feeding make sure to take a good multivitamin, I used Garden of Life, Vitamin Code, Raw Prenatal.
WHAT I ATE
Oatmeal with peanut butter and coconut oil. Sometimes added sprouted toast with cinnamon or a banana. But oatmeal every single day. Overnight oats or stove-top. It’s what my body liked.
Snacks: Nuts, lots of nuts. Apple or grapes with nut butters. Vegan protein shakes. Yogurt. Popcorn. Hummus and veggies. Date balls – homeade snacks Via OhSheGlows.com
Lunch: Left overs from dinner usually. Avocado sandwiches with onions and tomatoes. Soups and salads.
Dinner: Rice or potatoes of all sorts. With roasted, sauteed or casserole/crock-pot vegetables. Veggie meat added sometimes. Anything easy while pregnant is nice, so those types of food helped.
Because I was pregnant I did add in lots of healthy fats.
I DID NOT eat passed 7 pm. This helped my sugars in the morning.
Take care of yourself so that you can take care of your baby and family. If you need help ask someone. Don’t be afraid or to prideful to seek help, for anything.
Good luck mamas. Enjoy being pregnant and love your belly! Watch what you eat now so that you don’t get discouraged at the scale later!!! <——
“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. Matthew 7:7